- A beautiful new seat for visitors to Shapwick Moor – in memory of much missed Hilary Lapham (8/26/2014) - The ever-active volunteer group at Shapwick Moor spent a wonderful day erecting another seat at Shapwick Moor recently. Sadly Hilary Lapham, a long-standing member of the Shapwick volunteer group, passed away in January and her husband, Keith (another long term volunteer) donated the seat as a lasting memory of Hilary. Hilary actively supported the public... Continue Reading
- Shapwick Moor becomes a Penal Colony – for a day! (6/9/2014) - On Tuesday 3rd June,60 pupils from nearby St Benedict’s School in Glastonbury visited Shapwick Moor as part of their literacy studies. They have been studying the book ‘Holes’ by Louis Sachar in which pupils are made to dig holes to atone for their past poor behaviour. The accompanying school staff took on the role as... Continue Reading
- Bumblebee Conservation Trust Lend Their Support to Shapwick Moor (4/16/2014) - The recently established margins will provide valuable areas for bumblebees (including the nationally scarce Shrill Carder bee which was recorded in the area for the first time in a decade in a field on the border of our reserve last year)to forage and locate nectar sources together with providing cover for small mammals to feed... Continue Reading
- Donation of New Visitors’ Seat for Shapwick Moor from North Somerset Group (4/12/2014) - The North Somerset Group of the Hawk and Owl Trust has financed a new seat for visitors to Shapwick Moor The seat will be in memory of former Chairman Barbara Handley who was actively involved with the group until her sad death last year, and it will be positioned to look out over some of... Continue Reading
- Shapwick Moor Opens Its Second Hide (4/12/2014) - Less than a month from completing work on the Barbara Handley Hide, Shapwick Moor has completed a second hide for use by visitors. This attractive new hide was designed and built by local craftsman Edwin Rider to resemble the Shepherd’s huts that used to be used in the area. It overlooks one of the many... Continue Reading
For a complete archive of Shapwick News Click Here. You can also visit our News Archives page to review all our historical new items.