South West Peregrine were formed in 2007. The Group was formed to continue the work of Richard Treleaven (MBE) (1920 -2009), who had been studying the lives of Peregrines on the North Cornish Coast since the late 1940’s. Dick as he was popularly known was recognised for many years as one of the foremost authorities on the Peregrine Falcons (Falco peregrinus) and his extensive knowledge and infectious enthusiasm for the birds brought him into contact with many specialists all over the world.
We are committed to the BTO’s Nest Record Scheme. The team is full of willing and enthusiastic volunteers, who put in many hours of work to collect this data around Cornish and Devon Coastlines.
2014 saw South West Peregrine partake in the National Peregrine Survey; with the BTO organisers and independent groups and volunteers the majority of Devon and Cornwall has been surveyed and a set of comprehensive data submitted.
We regularly exhibit at local and national events as well as being available to give talks to other groups and clubs.
Educational visits to schools are available to book and have proven to be a rewarding experience to the children involved, click here for details on how to arrange a visit from the team.
Research into peregrine behaviour forms an important part of our study and wherever possible this is shared via regular website updates and video postings.
We are pleased to be affiliated to the Hawk and Owl Trust and believe the partnering of the group to a national organisation is important in helping to preserve the Peregrine and other Birds of Prey for future generations.
- A North Cornish Eyrie with 4 young eyasses (4/26/2015) - Wednesday the 22nd and the Falcon was still sitting tight on her clutch, 3 eggs can be seen but more may be present; at 200+plus metres through a scope it is not easy to tell an accurate clutch size. She seems bored, picking around the scrape at grit anything to relieve the long hours she… Continue Reading
- Homes for our Birds of Prey (3/7/2015) - It’s easy to get involved with the Hawk and Owl Trust by buying a box from us if you have habitat for one or by joining the ‘Adopt a Box’ scheme, where you can sponsor boxes, the volunteers from South West Peregrine recently got in touch with the volunteer carpenters at the Hawk and Owl Trust Reserve… Continue Reading
- A Primary Peregrine Lesson (11/26/2014) - The Children of Class 3 at St Andrews Church of England Primary School, Buckland Monachorum, Devon, enjoyed their very own dedicated lesson on the Peregrine Falcon. Luke Curno, a member of the South West Peregrine Group, Local Group members of the Hawk and Owl Trust, arranged the whole event on his own. Luke who is just 18… Continue Reading
- Memories from a Fantastic Year (11/24/2014) - South West Peregrine Group have had a fantastic year with the help and support of the Hawk and Owl Trust. The South West Peregrine Group have made a lot of new friends over the past 12 months, joining The Hawk and Owl Trust on their stand at the Rutland BirdFair was certainly a highlight for… Continue Reading
- Summercourt Academy Peregrine Day (11/6/2014) - The Group were invited to Summercourt Academy, Newquay, Cornwall and spent an enjoyable day working with all four classes; teaching them facts about the Peregrine and other Birds of Prey that live in the British Isles and around the coast of Cornwall in particular. Every child ranging from 4-10years, compared their own Wingspan, watched numerous videos, learnt about the… Continue Reading
Jun 2015Bath Urban Peregrine Project Stand At Bath Festival Of Nature 2015 – 27/06/2015 at 11:00 am - 6:00 pm
Roger Finnamore (Chairman)
Mobile: 07864 877 125