The group was formally established in 1997 to:
- monitor the breeding activities of peregrine falcons in Shropshire
- submit records to the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) and the county bird recorder and participate in national and local surveys.
- provide protection, where possible, with other agencies at vulnerable nest sites.
- liaise with other wildlife groups with similar aims
The group is licensed by the BTO and Natural England under the Wildlife & Countryside Act to “observe and examine nests for the purpose and science and education” and to “take and possess addled/deserted eggs”.
In practice the licence is granted annually to the group co-ordinator, who then appoints accredited agents, (wardens), in respect of each nest site. A report on the work carried out under the licence is sent to the BTO each year at the end of the breeding season.
In addition to the licence report, a nest record card in respect of each nest site where breeding is attempted is completed and sent to the BTO. In recent years the records amounted approximately 20 per cent of the total number of records submitted to the BTO, a significant proportion of the data collected on this rare breeding falcon. The group liaises closely with RSPB/Investigation Unit in respect of incidents involving peregrines and other birds of prey. Data from ringing young peregrines is obtained by licensed members of the group and submitted to the BTO.
Members of the group meet twice a year, in March in advance of the breeding season, and again in September to review events and prepare written data for the BTO and Natural England.
Upcoming Events (New group meetings will be updated in due course)
Latest News (The has been no recent updates from the Shropshire Peregrine Group – September 2015)
- Lolo Williams Makes a Guest Appearance at the Shropshire Peregrine Group Post Season Meeting (11/27/2015) - This news article is courtesy of the Hawk and Owl Trust Shropshire Peregrine Group On Tuesday 17th November the Shropshire Peregrine Group held its’ post season meeting at the Bayston Hill Memorial Hall, near Shrewsbury. A good turnout of 60 members and guests attended to listen to the guest speaker, which was Lolo Williams, the……
Co-ordinator: John Turner
Tel: 01743 821678
Email click here
See the website for the Shropshire Peregrine Group by Clicking Here