The group is active from Weston Super Mare to Central Bristol, across towards the A38 and down to Junction 22 of the M5. This is not a fixed area, everyone is welcome to join the activities.
Members frequently work with other local groups to co-ordinate conservation, monitoring and socialising.
Meetings, starting at 7.45 pm, are at the Star Inn at Tickenham, BS21 6SE. Meetings are held from October until the group annual meeting in April.
In summer the group exhibits at local agricultural shows, and church / village/ charity sponsored events or fetes, and arranges walks lead by members of the Trust. The group undertakes habitat management in conjunction with local landowners and contributes work parties for the Trust reserve at Shapwick Moor on the fourth Sunday each month, weather permitting. Current projects include hedge planting, ditch clearance, coppicing and surveying (birds, insects, plants and habitat).
Volunteers meet at the new Shapwick Moor car park at 9.45am and stay as long as they can. Everyone is welcome and anyone with experience of gardening or heavier woodland working is particularly appreciated.
You can download a pdf version of the August 2014 newsletter: Click Here
- Latest News From North Somerset and Bristol Group (7/9/2014) - NEWSLETTER – July 2014 Yet again we were lucky with the weather for our walk through the reserves belonging to Backwell Environment Trust. The reserves were looking lovely and the sharp eyed amongst the group spotted a corncockle flower, a first for the reserve, and a Spotted Flycatcher and its nest in the top ofContinue Reading
- Shapwick Moor becomes a Penal Colony – for a day! (6/9/2014) - On Tuesday 3rd June,60 pupils from nearby St Benedict’s School in Glastonbury visited Shapwick Moor as part of their literacy studies. They have been studying the book ‘Holes’ by Louis Sachar in which pupils are made to dig holes to atone for their past poor behaviour. The accompanying school staff took on the role asContinue Reading
- Donation of New Visitors’ Seat for Shapwick Moor from North Somerset Group (4/12/2014) - The North Somerset Group of the Hawk and Owl Trust has financed a new seat for visitors to Shapwick Moor The seat will be in memory of former Chairman Barbara Handley who was actively involved with the group until her sad death last year, and it will be positioned to look out over some ofContinue Reading
- Busy times at Shapwick Moor Continue (4/12/2014) - Following the successful tree planting in March by the Family Group, the ‘oldies’ took on the challenge of completing our half kilometre of new hedging in 2014. The extra hedging will act as a screen between visitors to our major hide and birds visiting the ponds and scrapes excavated in the autumn. The enthusiasm ofContinue Reading
- Visit our Stand At the Chew Valley Optics and Bird Fair – 11/12 April 2014 (4/2/2014) - This event takes place on the lawns outside of the London Camera Exchange Lakeside Optics shop, next door to Chew Valley Lake tea shop, giving visitors the chance to view, get expert advice and buy, while testing out the equipment against this spectacular backdrop. There is also the opportunity to trade in old equipment inContinue Reading
- Big ‘thank you’ to Hawk and Owl Trust North Somerset Group for Equipment Donation (2/27/2014) - The lovely members of the North Somerset H&OT Group have donated six pairs of top quality loppers to enhance the tool stocks at Shapwick Moor. These tools have been needed urgently to help cut back willows along the ditch sides, one of the most important habitats on the reserve. Pictured here are Carrie Riches (ChairContinue Reading
- Next workday at Shapwick Moor (1/18/2014) - Yesterday I was lucky enough to be shown, by Simon Beard, our Education Officer, just how much progress been made on the reserve in the last few weeks. Recent works include two scrapes and a pond in front of our main hide and the hole for a small pond near the hide. We now haveContinue Reading
Aug 2014SHAPWICK VOLUNTEER DAY - 26/08/2014 - 26/10/2014 at 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Sep 2014Kenn Sea Wall Walk - 08/09/2014 at 5:30 pm
SHAPWICK MOOR VOLUNTEER DAY - 27/09/2014 at 10:00 am - 3:45 pm
Oct 2014SHAPWICK MOOR VOLUNTEER TASK - 15/10/2014 at 10:00 am - 3:30 pm
SHAPWICK MOOR OPEN MEETING - 18/10/2014 at 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Honey Buzzards by Steve Roberts - 20/10/2014 at 7:45 pm - 9:30 pm
Nov 2014From Bats, Cranes and Dormice to Water Voles and more - 17/11/2014 at 7:45 pm - 9:30 pm
Shapwick Moor Volunteer day - 24/11/2014 at 10:00 am - 3:15 pm
Shapwick Moor Volunteer Day - 30/11/2014 at 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Dec 2014Owl Prowl at Weston Big Wood with Chris Sperring - 15/12/2014 at 7:30 pm
Owl Prowl in Weston Wood - 15/12/2014 at 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Shapwick Volunteer Day - 17/12/2014 at 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Jan 2015"Bird Slaughter in the Mediterranean" by Roger Lucken - 19/01/2015 at 7:45 pm
Shapwick Volunteer Day - 31/01/2015 at 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Feb 2015‘Wildlife of the Western Isles’ by Philip Mugridge - 16/02/2015 at 7:45 pm
Shapwick Volunteer Task - 22/02/2015 at 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Mar 2015WWT Habitat Creation on Steart Peninsular Reserve with Tim McGrath - 16/03/2015 at 7:45 pm
Apr 2015Bristol's Urban Peregrines/Goshawks (To Be Confirmed) - 20/04/2015 at 7:45 pm - 10:00 pm
Chair: Carrie Riches
Tel | 01275 462 908
Email | Click Here
Events and Shows: Carrie Riches
Email Click Here