The Mendip and Somerset Levels group of the Hawk and Owl Trust promotes the work of the Trust in its area through conservation work and public outreach.
Species surveys, nest-box placement and monitoring and conservation centred on the new reserve at Shapwick Moor, in the heart of the Somerset Levels, and the reserve at Henley, on the other side of the Levels.
Walks, talks and workshops, open to everyone with an interest in the work of the Trust.
Talks take place in the Wells Museum, on Cathedral Green, Wells, Somerset at 7.30 pm on the second Tuesday of the month.
- Latest News From North Somerset and Bristol Group (7/9/2014) - NEWSLETTER – July 2014 Yet again we were lucky with the weather for our walk through the reserves belonging to Backwell Environment Trust. The reserves were looking lovely and the sharp eyed amongst the group spotted a corncockle flower, a first for the reserve, and a Spotted Flycatcher and its nest in the top ofContinue Reading
- Shapwick Moor becomes a Penal Colony – for a day! (6/9/2014) - On Tuesday 3rd June,60 pupils from nearby St Benedict’s School in Glastonbury visited Shapwick Moor as part of their literacy studies. They have been studying the book ‘Holes’ by Louis Sachar in which pupils are made to dig holes to atone for their past poor behaviour. The accompanying school staff took on the role asContinue Reading
- Donation of New Visitors’ Seat for Shapwick Moor from North Somerset Group (4/12/2014) - The North Somerset Group of the Hawk and Owl Trust has financed a new seat for visitors to Shapwick Moor The seat will be in memory of former Chairman Barbara Handley who was actively involved with the group until her sad death last year, and it will be positioned to look out over some ofContinue Reading
- Busy times at Shapwick Moor Continue (4/12/2014) - Following the successful tree planting in March by the Family Group, the ‘oldies’ took on the challenge of completing our half kilometre of new hedging in 2014. The extra hedging will act as a screen between visitors to our major hide and birds visiting the ponds and scrapes excavated in the autumn. The enthusiasm ofContinue Reading
- Visit our Stand At the Chew Valley Optics and Bird Fair – 11/12 April 2014 (4/2/2014) - This event takes place on the lawns outside of the London Camera Exchange Lakeside Optics shop, next door to Chew Valley Lake tea shop, giving visitors the chance to view, get expert advice and buy, while testing out the equipment against this spectacular backdrop. There is also the opportunity to trade in old equipment inContinue Reading
- Big ‘thank you’ to Hawk and Owl Trust North Somerset Group for Equipment Donation (2/27/2014) - The lovely members of the North Somerset H&OT Group have donated six pairs of top quality loppers to enhance the tool stocks at Shapwick Moor. These tools have been needed urgently to help cut back willows along the ditch sides, one of the most important habitats on the reserve. Pictured here are Carrie Riches (ChairContinue Reading
- Next workday at Shapwick Moor (1/18/2014) - Yesterday I was lucky enough to be shown, by Simon Beard, our Education Officer, just how much progress been made on the reserve in the last few weeks. Recent works include two scrapes and a pond in front of our main hide and the hole for a small pond near the hide. We now haveContinue Reading
- Shapwick Reserve Coming on Leaps and Bounds – Despite the Weather! (1/10/2014) - In the face of an atrocious weather forecast the work day on our reserve on the Somerset Levels, Shapwick Moor, on 5 January 2014 was postponed until Sunday 25 January 2014. However, in spite of the wet conditions there have still been lots of developments. Simon Beard, our Education and Outreach Officer (Reserve Development managerContinue Reading
- North Somerset and Bristol Group spread the word at the North Somerset Countryside Day (7/12/2013) - The North Somerset and Bristol Group attended the North Somerset Countryside Day on 10th July, organised by the North Somerset Agricultural Society. Approximately 2,300 enthusiastic and excited school children attended this event which is aimed at raising awareness of what goes on in the countryside, and more particularly, how their food is produced. Each groupContinue Reading
- Building Nests in Case of Flying Visitors! (5/3/2013) - Children at St Cuthbert’s Junior School were busy preparing for the nesting season with the help of Roger Moses from the Hawk and Owl Trust. He showed the pupils photos of various bird species they could see on the Somerset Levels where the Hawk and Owl Trust have a reserve. Roger also explained how toContinue Reading
- Volunteers Show Off ‘Wildlife on your Doorstep’ in North Somerset (3/1/2013) - Enthusiastic volunteers in North Somerset laid on a hugely successful event in February entitled ‘Wildlife on your Doorstep’. Aimed at spreading the Trust’s conservation message the day involved guided woodland walks, nest box building, owl pellet dissection and displays, along with two captive-bred owls; Ozzy the Boobook Owl and Otus the Long-eared Owl. Trust ConservationContinue Reading
Aug 2014SHAPWICK VOLUNTEER DAY - 26/08/2014 - 26/10/2014 at 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Sep 2014Kenn Sea Wall Walk - 08/09/2014 at 5:30 pm
SHAPWICK MOOR VOLUNTEER DAY - 27/09/2014 at 10:00 am - 3:45 pm
Oct 2014SHAPWICK MOOR VOLUNTEER TASK - 15/10/2014 at 10:00 am - 3:30 pm
SHAPWICK MOOR OPEN MEETING - 18/10/2014 at 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Nov 2014Shapwick Moor Volunteer day - 24/11/2014 at 10:00 am - 3:15 pm
Shapwick Moor Volunteer Day - 30/11/2014 at 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Dec 2014Shapwick Volunteer Day - 17/12/2014 at 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Jan 2015"Bird Slaughter in the Mediterranean" by Roger Lucken - 19/01/2015 at 7:45 pm
Shapwick Volunteer Day - 31/01/2015 at 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Feb 2015Shapwick Volunteer Task - 22/02/2015 at 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Chair: Pat McCann
Tel: 01458 833203
Secretary: Roger Moses
Tel: 01761 490458