The Mendip and Somerset Levels group of the Hawk and Owl Trust promotes the work of the Trust in its area through conservation work and public outreach.
Species surveys, nest-box placement and monitoring and conservation centred on the new reserve at Shapwick Moor, in the heart of the Somerset Levels, and the reserve at Henley, on the other side of the Levels.
Walks, talks and workshops, open to everyone with an interest in the work of the Trust.
Talks take place in the Wells Museum, on Cathedral Green, Wells, Somerset at 7.30 pm on the second Tuesday of the month.
- Big ‘thank you’ to Hawk and Owl Trust North Somerset Group for Equipment Donation (Thursday 27 February 2014) - The lovely members of the North Somerset H&OT Group have donated six pairs of top quality loppers to enhance the tool stocks at Shapwick Moor. These tools have been needed urgently to help cut back willows along the ditch sides, one of the most important habitats on the reserve. Pictured here are Carrie Riches (ChairContinue Reading
- Next workday at Shapwick Moor (Saturday 18 January 2014) - Yesterday I was lucky enough to be shown, by Simon Beard, our Education Officer, just how much progress been made on the reserve in the last few weeks. Recent works include two scrapes and a pond in front of our main hide and the hole for a small pond near the hide. We now haveContinue Reading
- Shapwick Reserve Coming on Leaps and Bounds – Despite the Weather! (Friday 10 January 2014) - In the face of an atrocious weather forecast the work day on our reserve on the Somerset Levels, Shapwick Moor, on 5 January 2014 was postponed until Sunday 25 January 2014. However, in spite of the wet conditions there have still been lots of developments. Simon Beard, our Education and Outreach Officer (Reserve Development managerContinue Reading
- North Somerset and Bristol Group spread the word at the North Somerset Countryside Day (Friday 12 July 2013) - The North Somerset and Bristol Group attended the North Somerset Countryside Day on 10th July, organised by the North Somerset Agricultural Society. Approximately 2,300 enthusiastic and excited school children attended this event which is aimed at raising awareness of what goes on in the countryside, and more particularly, how their food is produced. Each groupContinue Reading
- Building Nests in Case of Flying Visitors! (Friday 3 May 2013) - Children at St Cuthbert’s Junior School were busy preparing for the nesting season with the help of Roger Moses from the Hawk and Owl Trust. He showed the pupils photos of various bird species they could see on the Somerset Levels where the Hawk and Owl Trust have a reserve. Roger also explained how toContinue Reading
- Volunteers Show Off ‘Wildlife on your Doorstep’ in North Somerset (Friday 1 March 2013) - Enthusiastic volunteers in North Somerset laid on a hugely successful event in February entitled ‘Wildlife on your Doorstep’. Aimed at spreading the Trust’s conservation message the day involved guided woodland walks, nest box building, owl pellet dissection and displays, along with two captive-bred owls; Ozzy the Boobook Owl and Otus the Long-eared Owl. Trust ConservationContinue Reading
Chair: Pat McCann
Tel: 01458 833203
Secretary: Roger Moses
Tel: 01761 490458