The East Midlands Group was formed in April 2011 by a handful of people with a huge amount of enthusiasm. It particularly welcomes members from Leicestershire, Rutland and Northamptonshire, but anyone with PE or NG postcodes – from the Peterborough and Nottingham areas – or even Derby who would like to be involved would be most welcome.
Without the attraction of a Hawk and Owl Trust reserve nearby, the group has chosen to focus on promoting the Trust’s aims in other ways. This includes practical conservation work such as constructing and erecting nest boxes for barn owls, kestrels, little owls and tawny owls in suitable locations. The group also organises indoor talks or outdoor events at least every other month, in an effort to educate people about the remarkable birds of prey on their doorstep. Key raptors in the area are the red kite and the osprey and the group is delighted to have raised enough money to donate to local projects helping both these birds.
In addition to this, just 6 months after its creation, the group successfully played host to the 2011 Hawk and Owl Trust Members’ Weekend and AGM at the fantastic venue of Rutland Water.
East Midland Group
Chairman: Simon Dudhill
Mobile: 07798 713735
To Email Simon then just Click Here
To Email the East Midlands Group then just Click Here
Aug 2016Hawk and Owl Trust will be Attending Birdfair 2016 – 19/08/2016 - 21/08/2016 at All Day
- Great Success for the Hawk and Owl Trusts East Midlands Group (2/1/2016) - This news post update has been supplied by Simon Dudhill of the East Midlands Group of the Hawk and Owl Trust As reported on 7 November 2015, the Hawk & Owl Trust East Midlands Group successfully secured funding from the Cory Conservation Grant scheme to supply and erect barn owl boxes for farmers and landowners within… Continue Reading
- Birds of Prey Lose a Champion – Geoff Williamson (11/22/2015) - It is with great sadness that we heard that Geoff Williamson, a long standing volunteer for the Hawk and Owl Trust and founder member of our East Midlands Group passed away at the beginning of November. He was a inspirational part of the team and he will be very sadly missed by many of us… Continue Reading
- East Midlands Group Secures Grant for Hawk and Owl Trust Work (11/7/2015) - It is great news to hear that the Hawk and Owl Trusts East Midlands Group has recently secured a grant from the the Cory Conservation Trust to help local farmers and landowners in the Rutland area to install owl nest boxes on their land as part of the Farmland Bird of Prey Initiative. Members… Continue Reading
- Come and See the East Midlands Group at Rutland Water and Sacrewell Farm the Weekend of 13/14 September (9/10/2014) - The East Midlands Group will be attending Rutland Day on Saturday. For more information click here We will also be attending The Bumper Harvest Festival at Sacrewell Farm on Sunday. For more information click here See you there! Continue Reading
- A Great Summer of Events Enjoyed by East Midlands Group (9/20/2013) - GOLDEN EAGLE TALK Way back in May, an enthusiastic audience welcomed guest speaker John Mease and his golden eagle Erlan. John gave a highly entertaining talk, telling us about his daily life with this magnificent bird of prey and the hard work which went in to building the amazing rapport he has with his charge.… Continue Reading
- Donation: Group Raises £500 for Osprey Tracking (4/2/2012) - Cheque Pays for a Year’s Satellite Data for a Rutland Osprey The East Midlands Group has donated £500 to the Leicestershire and Rutland Wildlife Trust’s Rutland Osprey Project. The money will go towards the costs of retrieving data from the GPS satellite transmitters used by the team at Rutland Water to track the ospreys, both… Continue Reading