Bath & West Wiltshire Group
The Bath & West Wilts group was formed 18 years ago and is active in providing advice on conservation, nest box construction, installation and monitoring around Bath and West Wiltshire.
The group is active at a number of important sites in and around Bath and in particular the peregrines in the box that they have installed on St Johns Church in South Parade Bath, members record and forward nesting data to the British Trust for Ornithology and continue to liaise with landowners such as the National Trust, Wessex Water and local farmers to assist in conservation schemes. Shapwick Moor is the nearest Hawk and Owl Trust Reserve and there is always more work to be done and members are encouraged to participate.
The group arranges a small number of field meetings though the year. During the summer (April – September) field trips provide opportunities for members to appreciate the excitement of seeing birds of prey in the wild. Trips will be led by a Hawk and Owl Trust member with knowledge of the area, and able to offer bird identification and habitat advice. For details please contact the publicity officer.
Please contact one of the committee if you are keen to help in any way.
Chairman: Richard Harris
Tel: 01225 866897
email: click here
Conservation: Colin Morris
Tel: 01179 327672
email: click here
Publicity: Mike Rogers
Tel: 01225 744290
email: click here
- Peregrine Chicks Due to Hatch Soon at St John’s Church Bath (5/4/2014) - The peregrine pair using the Hawk and Owl Trust nest platform at St John’s Church in Bath have been carefully brooding their eggs for the last few weeks. We are now getting to the time for the chicks to hatch and are predicting the first egg to hatch somewhere between 4 – 9 May. HereContinue Reading
- Visit our Stand At the Chew Valley Optics and Bird Fair – 11/12 April 2014 (4/2/2014) - This event takes place on the lawns outside of the London Camera Exchange Lakeside Optics shop, next door to Chew Valley Lake tea shop, giving visitors the chance to view, get expert advice and buy, while testing out the equipment against this spectacular backdrop. There is also the opportunity to trade in old equipment inContinue Reading
- BBC Visit Bath Peregrine Project (5/15/2013) - BBC news programme ‘Points South West’ dropped by St John’s Church in Bath on Monday to speak to Hawk and Owl Trustee Mike Rogers and Peregrine Project team member Hamish Smith. The peregrine pair that have taken up residence in the nesting platform provided by the Hawk and Owl Trust have continued their successful runContinue Reading
- Trust Peregrines Star on BBC Springwatch (6/8/2012) - Two Youngsters Prepare to Leave Church Nest Platform 8 June 2012 | These two young peregrines, growing up on the Hawk and Owl Trust nesting platform on a Bath church, have been starring on BBC TV all this week. (Click here for extracts.) The picture shows them trying out their wings in this week’s drivingContinue Reading
- Two Chicks for Bath Peregrines (4/25/2012) - 7th Successive Brood at Church Nest Platform Conservationists in Bath have welcomed the next generation of peregrines to hatch on the Hawk and Owl Trust’s well established nesting platform on the spire of St John’s RC Church. The first egg successfully hatched on 1 May 2011 when one chick was observed as the female leftContinue Reading
- Sooty Escape for Young Peregrine (7/4/2011) - Juvenile rescued after falling down chimney One of this year’s young Bath peregrines had a lucky escape after falling into a chimney, disappearing from her usual haunts around St John’s Church. The youngster eventually managed to make her way down the chimney. Luckily she landed in the hearth of Bath nature conservation enthusiast Gillian BarrettContinue Reading
- Bath Peregrines’ Fledgling Success (6/9/2011) - Three youngsters join parents on the wing in Georgian city Three young peregrines, raised on a Hawk and Owl Trust nesting platform on the spire of St John’s RC Church in Bath, have now all fledged successfully and left the nest. Having taken their first flights, they are spending their time flitting from roof toContinue Reading
Aug 2014SHAPWICK VOLUNTEER DAY – 26/08/2014 - 26/10/2014 at 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Dec 2014Shapwick Volunteer Day – 17/12/2014 at 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Jan 2015Shapwick Volunteer Day – 31/01/2015 at 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Feb 2015Shapwick Volunteer Task – 22/02/2015 at 10:00 am - 3:00 pm