- Out of the Ashes of the Fylingdales Fire – Five Days That Shook the Moor (10/15/2013) - The five days from 17 – 21 September 2003 saw a huge fire devastate part of Fylingdales Moor on the North York Moors, stretching from the A171, where it is believed to have started due to a discarded cigarette, to near the coast at Ravenscar. In total 2.4 square kilometres of moorland and fragile peat... Continue Reading
- Rare Royal Fern found on Fylingdales Moor (7/22/2013) - Staff at the Hawk and Owl moorland reserve at Fylingdales on the North York Moors are delighted to announce the discovery of a rare fern. ‘A Royal Fern is a great find for Fylindales. This brings the ‘un-official’ plant count to 269 species now!’ Says Chris Hansell, Hawk and Owl Trust Ranger at Fylingdales
- Barns Owls Fly in for a School Visit (4/2/2013) - On Friday 15 February, Millie and Bundi, two Barn owls from Parrot and Seal animal displays and their handlers, Lauren Smith and Josephine Schneider, visited the Infants and aptly named Little Owls Pre-School at Bramcote Junior School. The owls were a little ‘fidgety’ as they really wanted to be flying around! Unlike real barn owls... Continue Reading
- Mushrooms Magic For Owls (1/26/2013) - Barn Owl Box at Monaghan Mushrooms As part of a Conservation Plan conducted to assess the environmental impact of the farm on the local area Sarah Chisholm, Quality Manager, of Monaghan Mushrooms at Whitley near Selby contacted Fylingdales Wildlife Ranger Chris Hansell with a view to obtaining a Barn Owl box and getting help on... Continue Reading
- Nature Trail Boardwalk Completed at Fylingdales (1/26/2013) - Jugger Beck Nature Trail Boardwalk Opens 2012 saw the official completion of the Nature Trail boardwalk along Jugger Beck on Fylingdales Moor. The task was started on 11 April 2011 and took the ‘HOOTS’ volunteers a total of 19 working days equating to 189 volunteer days to complete the 335 metres of boardwalk which included... Continue Reading
For a complete archive of Fylingdales News Click Here. You can also visit our News Archives page to review all our historical new items.